The purpose of software testing is to find defects and not to pass easy tests. These days, with many firms and even individuals seeking the services of software testers, the market for the process is huge. Thus, a lot of service providers are emerging and naturally there is stiff competition in this field. In order to survive and progress in this industry, there are several things that a software testing vendor should take into consideration.
These things could also include valuable tips that will help service providers survive as well as advance in the software testing career. The ten tips are the following:
1. Everything should be in written communication without verbal communication if possible. This applies to all tasks or instructions given. Regardless of how friendly the manager or lead is, things should be in documents or emails.
2. To track down freeware defects, things should be taken from all perspectives. It is important to practice the 360 degree testing approach and find all possible information which is related to the app under test aside from the SRS docs. The information should be used to comprehend the project thoroughly a apply it while in the process.
3. By trying to automate daily routine tasks, it could save a lot of time and energy. Regardless of how small the tasks may be, this process helps save time and effort. For instance, for manually deploying project builds, write a batch script to do the job in just one click.
4. Software testers should practice continuous learning and never stop learning. It is good to explore better ways of assessing app. Learn new tools such as QTP, Selenium or any performance examining tool. Today, performance QA is the hot career destination for testers.
5. It’s important to get involved right from the start. Ask the manager or leader of the project to get one involved in design meetings or discussions from the beginning. This is more applicable for small teams that have no manager or lead.
6. One should admit mistakes but should also be confident about whatever kinds of tasks one did. Doing the same mistake should be avoided. This is the best method of l earning and adapting to new things.
7. Enhance interpersonal and communication skills. This is extremely important for periodic career growth at all stages.
8. It is good to keep notes on everything, including new things learned on a project. This could merely be simple commands to be done for certain tasks to accomplish or complex steps. This is important to stop asking the same things over and over again to the fellow developers or testers.
9. Make it a point to be noticed at work. There are instances that the leader may not present a true picture of a tester to the company management. In this case, one should watch the moments continuously wherein one could show performance to the top management. However, it is not ethical to play politics at work.
10. Testing a program is fun and one should enjoy it. The main thing is to be focused, stay calm and follow and processes and the enjoy them. Some people consider the process as addictive.